Reconnecting New Zealand to the world rides on the back of 5 essential objectives:
- Maintaining our elimination strategy to stamp out the virus and keep our options open.
- Ensuring every eligible New Zealander is offered the opportunity to be vaccinated as soon as possible.
- Reducing the need for further lockdowns as much as possible by continuing to strengthen our health and contact tracing systems.
- Maintaining strong public health tools.
- Developing new ways to enable people to travel safely to and from New Zealand
The forum started with a presentation from Sir David Skegg, with an overview of the Strategic COVID-19 Public Health Advisory Group’s advice on reconnecting New Zealand.
It was followed by a discussion MC’d by the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor, Dame Juliet Gerrard. The experts bring a range of backgrounds and perspectives to a discussion about vaccination, safe borders, safe travel and public health habits.
The event also featured a speech from Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and opening remarks from Dr Ayesha Verrall, Associate Minister of Health.
Click the image below to learn more